Technical manager job at TIMES HIGHER EDUCATION
As the voice of global higher education, THE is an invaluable daily resource for scholars, students and higher education institutions.
THE has grown from a weekly magazine to a 24/7 digital hub for global higher education, with new content published daily. Whether it’s agenda-defining news and analysis, commentary from the finest minds in international academia, our influential university rankings, or the latest insights from our global summit series, everything we do aims to help individuals and institutions of higher education excel.
THE has a lot of ambition to fulfill its potential, we have grown over the past few years and continue to grow our business, brand, user base and products. We invest heavily in several areas, including technology; and we are creating new technical capabilities within our business that will power our current and future digital products.
It’s the start of an exciting transformation to become the data and insights partner of choice for the world’s leading universities. We now need the support of a talented data engineer to help us take our processes and data infrastructure to the next level.
Working with our pre-existing engineering, product and data science teams, this role will be fundamental in designing and building data pipelines to power our products. Initially, this person will help refine our data ingestion processes as we completely modernize some of our data pipelines; and should have a strong desire to share best practices and knowledge with data and engineering teams, as well as mentor a more junior data engineer.
Additionally, as we seek to improve data governance and processes across all of our products and our data and engineering teams, this role is both practical and strategic.
- Design the construction of efficient and appropriate data models and pipelines
- Help improve technical architecture and documentation standards, governance, policies, processes and procedures
- Assist in scoping, estimating and task scheduling for assigned projects
- Follow project work plans to meet functionality requirements, project goals and timelines a long-term vision and roadmap on how to advance data infrastructure and analytics to the next level, exploring new technologies, where appropriate
- You will be responsible for implementing data cleaning and standardization processes ready to be used for analytical and operational purposes
- Work with cross-functional teams (product, data, finance, technology) to build best-in-class data infrastructure
- Apply quality control, data validation and cleaning processes to new and existing data sources
- Promote data-driven insights and analytics within the business and act as a subject matter expert on data infrastructure
- Support for sourcing and ingesting data from multiple sources into enterprise data platform that supports Data Lake and traditional data environments
- You will work closely with THE technology teams to ensure that data is managed, stored, maintained and secured according to the required standards, in particular by collaborating with the data architect to define and build the required data models.
- Work with multiple stakeholders inside and outside of THE to shape, prepare and deliver data connected to downstream business processes and functions
- You will support the development and testing of all APIs required for data integration between systems and vendors
- You will identify ways to improve data coverage, quality and efficiency
- You are a highly experienced data engineer with experience in architecture and team leadership
- You thrive in a cross-functional environment and are eager to learn new things. Ideally you can code in more than one language (we usually use JS, PHP and Python)
- You can make your own decisions but don’t be reckless.
- You actively ask questions and are open to advice.
- You aspire to build amazing things.
- You will have the determination to do the job.
- You want to enjoy what you are doing.
- You want to help the next generation of great programmers grow.
- Experience architecting data solutions on modern cloud platforms (e.g. AI, data migrations, etc.).
- Experience with Spark (Scala/Python/Java) and Kafka. Hands-on experience working with AWS data products (e.g. Glue, Athena, Redshift, Kinesis, Lake Formation, QuickSight, etc.).
- Experience working in a client-facing/advisory environment to build trusting relationships with key stakeholders and act as a trusted advisor.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to apply an analytical and creative thought process.
- Demonstrated success in contributing to a team-oriented multi-site environment.
- Proven ability to deliver high quality deliverables under tight deadlines Team management Training and mentorship Knowledge of Linux/Nginx
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Resourcefulness and troubleshooting skills
- At least two of the following: SQL (MySQL, Postgres, Redshift), NoSQL (MongoDB), key-value (Redis)
THE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We recognize that we are all different. Great strength comes from different perspectives and experiences. That’s why we’re committed to our mission to create an inclusive culture that empowers our employees to feel empowered to give their all at work. We are proud to be part of the Global Equality Collective and to be a caring employer to help THE achieve this goal.